Ma Deuce Gunner

Ma Deuce Gunner

PROTECTING FREEDOM.....HALF AN INCH AT A TIME.

Saturday, April 30, 2005

On The Media

I was recently interviewed by NPR's On The Media. They were interested in doing a story about milbloggers. I at first was skeptical, due to the leftwards slant that NPR has a reputation for, but I listened to other excerpts of their program and decided that they took a pretty objective look at how the media covers issues.

I was afraid that they would take my words out of context and distort them. They did not do this. They were extremely honest and objective. It was a welcome surprise to see something so objectively reported.

They talked to me about this blog, and why I write what I do. They asked me about my commanders opinion... You know what... just go listen. It is a 21mb MP3. Check it out.

They also talked to an ARMY TIMES reporter about regulations and standards governing milbloggers.

They then interviewed Jason Hartley, who writes JustAnotherSoldier.com. I hope you would go to... yup... here's the link again, find the April 29th show, and listen. The segment on milbloggers led off. When I can find a way to host it here, I will.

My only real heartburn, is that they put the wrong URL to my site on theirs. Hopefully they can change it soon.

SCOUTS OUT.

MDG.........OUT!!

13 Comments:

At 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I listened - you did a great job. I also sent an e-mail to the show asking them to fix the link to your blog. After listening to Jason Hartley's interview which followed yours, people who click on the bad link are probably going to think that your blog has been "taken down" by the Army.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Grim said...

They'd better not be taking words out of context, with the whole MilBlogs ring watching your back. :) Well done, hoss.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger JACK ARMY said...

good interview. Very interesting. I suppose "why I blog" is about as diverse and varying as "why I joined the military".

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems they may have been attempting to make it look as though you should not be "blogging" when they keep asking about regulations?!? Amazing that "professional" people who are hired for their education and intelligence for these positions can make such simple mistakes - i.e. place wrong URL where it's required. Maybe on purpose?!?

You may have gotten the upper hand in this - good move.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger C said...

A well-spoken, intelligent interview -- the most lucid five minutes on WNYC in a while.

I emailed them about the URL error, so hopefully one (more) reminder will get them to fix it faster.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Michael said...

Thanks, everyone. I mean it from the bottom of my heart.

Shukran, as they would say in Arabic.

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great interview! Of course, I am partial. I loved hearing my bro's voice on the radio. Way to go, bruddah. Job well done. :)

 
At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo Zulu!

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I finally got back into town and was able to listen to the interview. I am so proud of you Sweetie. You did a great job - not that I had any doubts :) I love you

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Some Soldier's Mom said...

You were right to be concerned about NPR since it was NPR who "outed" milblogger Colby Buzzell (My War) on that show last year -- giving his name, rank and location when he had taken great pain to have his blog remain anonymous... and I agree that they have a decidedly "left" slant.

But Nice Job! The interview was very well done.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Chap said...

I just heard the interview. Well done. You comported yourself very well, and helped underline how smart and dedicated our folks in the field are.

Colonel Harry Summers wrote a book about Vietnam that argued, among other things, that the United States didn't realize that one of its centers of gravity was national will. The folks we're fighting remember this and try to attack that center of gravity. Your efforts here, in countering bad data in the press or from others, are of great importance in keeping the bad guys from ruining our will--the MilBlogger efforts like yours help allow us to finish the job and win.

Thanks.

(P.S.:The Army Enquirer I mean Times guy sounds like he misses the point...)

 
At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NPR did not "out" Colby Buzzell. Anyone who is going to say something negative about someone or something, should ALWAYS check their facts first. NPR did not in any way say Colby's name or, for that matter, anything that wasn't plainly on Colby's blog.

 
At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home