Ma Deuce Gunner

Ma Deuce Gunner

PROTECTING FREEDOM.....HALF AN INCH AT A TIME.

Friday, June 10, 2005

Maintenance of Freedom

Please accept my apologies for my recent lack of posting. Duty calls.

I was the CQ (Charge of Quarters) NCOIC (Non-Commissioned Officer in Charge) a few days ago, and posted on my XO's (Executive Officer, 2nd in commmand of the Company) are 5 quotes on the door to his office. I have walked past them a hundred times, and read them a few times. I read them again, and two of them struck me. One was from John Stuart Mill.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth fighting for is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the actions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill


The other one was this one:

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it" - Thomas Paine


There are a number of websites, news outlets, and people out there, American citizens, who constantly malign the military, the current administration, and the cause of freedom itself.

These folks are indeed "miserable creatures." These writers are morally bereft individuals. So, I find myself in a quandary... do I attack them for their excercising of their right to free speech, a right that I have volunteered to defend?? Do I dismiss their drivel as exactly what it is, and tell myself that it is just "free speech??" I feel that some of these people write treasonously. I think that the line between free speech and treason has been blurred, and dangerously so. These writers -- and I am speaking in general terms -- portray us as a barbaric, monopolistic, and imperialistically aspiring to dominate the world. I believe we are trying to spread freedom to the oppressed. To give those masses who have been persecuted under tyrannical and murderous dictators a chance at freedom.

Now some would say I am a blind champion of freedom. To a good many Americans, this may be the case. I in no way, shape, form, or insinuation mean to offend the supporters of our cause. I do not impugne your dedication to freedom, nor do I dismiss your gratitude for my service and every other person who has ever worn the uniform as a defender of the United States of America. Freedom is sweet to those who enjoy it. Freedom is just a little sweeter to those who have fought for it. Seeing how life was, could have been, and still is, in some cases, without the things we take for granted, is an amazing eye opener. Simply visiting a Third World country may not give the insight that I feel I have gained here. Again, I do not intend to demean anyone or their experiences, but freedom's flavor is a bit more scrumptious to those who have fought for it. A keen understanding of the definition of liberty is being etched into mine and the minds of all who serve in harm's way.

But I digress... treasonous "journalism" needs to be ended. I do not have the answer, though. Prosecution immediately springs to mind. Undoubtedly, the writers, bloggers, and journalists who purvey such garbage will cry foul and flail their arms, singing out, "We are just trying to tell the truth!! There is a public need to know!!" They think that classified information should be public knowledge. For example, the New York Times recently published an article detailing CIA procedures for transporting detainees. Wrong answer. These people who commit treason through their keyboards, microphones, and cameras are no better than John Walker Lindh.

There are aspects of war that are distasteful. Distasteful, but NECESSARY. George Orwell said it best:

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."


He says "violence." Killing. Inflicting pain. If inflicting pain allows us to gain a tactical or strategic advantage to protect the innocent, so be it. I also want to clarify; attacking and killing an armed and resourceful enemy in military operations is not murder. USMC 2LT Ilario Pantano's case proved that. Blowing up IEDs and shattering the body of a two year old boy IS murder.

My point is this. There are things that go on in war that "Joe Sixpack" are better off not knowing; they are done in the intrest of freedom and national security. Those who divulge information which gives aid and comfort to the enemy are traitors. Those who cover incidents or acts which, however distasteful, assist in the attainment of freedom or the ability to win wars and defeat EVIL, and see what we do as "not worth it," are uglier than words can describe.

SCOUTS OUT!!!!!!

MDG.....OUT!

14 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on Deuce!!! It's nice to see someone in our PC weorld tell it like it is. Keep up the good work.

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its called the first amendment....it protects your rights as much as anyone else's. Without giving an example of what this "treasonous" journalism is - your post is rather pointless. There will never be a journalist "prosecuted" in this nation for simply publishing an article. That would be a clear and direct and absolute violation of the 1st Amendment - which reads....

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Journalists, as much as every other individual, have a right and obligation to criticize the United States foreign policy when they believe it is misdirected.

And while you MAY NOT believe it is "misdirected" - other American citizens do. Both your opinion, and these journalists opinions are valid.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger El Capitan said...

Indeed the constitution protects freedom of speech, but when someone uses speech that knowingly brings harm to others, isn't that crossing the line. It's the old story about yelling 'Fire' in a crowded theater... hundreds died being trampled, and the person claimed his Freedom of Speech protected his actions, but the freedom of speech does not protect such actions.

Yelling 'fire' which resulted in numerous deaths is similar to publishing countless false or misleading stories about U.S. soldiers and our Government. Countless innocent lives have been lost because of such reporting. Is this not the same thing as yelling 'fire'?

I'm 100% for the freedom of speech, and I will proudly stand up and protect that right for all. I will not however protect those who are directly harming or purposely putting in danger the very constitution that promises that freedom and the people like myself that have sworn protect it.

Until you've sacrificed everything to protect your freedom and the freedom of others, you will never understand what freedom is.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger El Capitan said...

Good post MDG!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger GunnNutt said...

anon 9:52 - I call bullhocky on your "opinion" and I don't give a rat's ass if your feelings are hurt. You prize the 1st amendment above all because you think it protects your blatant anti-American hate speech. I agree w/MDG that the lables traitor and treason should be applied more liberally.

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

trust me - my feelings are not "hurt" by MDG's post - I am simply pointing out the irony of MDG's comment. That he would "prosecute" someone for their speech or publication. Yet he espouses himself to be a "blind champion of freedom."

Further - I fail to understand how pointing to the language and protections of our Constitution can be remotely considered "anti-American hate speech."

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger FbL said...

Amen Brother...

"The First Amendment contains not only a right, but an inherent responsibility..."

At what point does freedom of speech become sedition?

If "journalists" wish to "spread the truth", they should be able to back up their stories with facts... Not innuendo, not guesswork, but FACTS.

How many "journalists" have perverted the Freedom of the Press in order to make a buck, or forward some agenda, instead of remaining strictly objective...

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

they report the facts - you guys just don't want to believe them.

it is possible for the American government to make mistakes. (i.e., abu ghraib, guantanamo, WMD) its usually the journalists that enlighten the public as to these truths.

 
At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Anonymous 9:52
I spent two years overseas defending the right of some self-centered, over-educated, santimonious, condecending jerk to quote to me the First Amendment.
Okay, fair enough, but please, at least recognize the difference between honoring the amendment and hiding behind it.
On target, MGD-----Thanks

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post! The 1st Amendment assumes that a person supports one's country and has SOME common sense. I don't see a lot of that around the MSM these days. I agree that a lot we read and hear borders on treason. I don't have a "need to know" a lot of stuff I hear reported just to make a buck for some media outlet.

 
At 5:14 AM, Blogger Michael said...

Anon 09:52-

Re-read my post. I do not "espouse" myself as a blind champion of freedom. I said that some may call me such. I see, on a daily basis, and have for the past six months, the effects of oppression and dictatorship. I have lived free at home, and see how horrible life can be without it.

Pay attention, assimilate the information, and then post your comment after your knee stops jerking.

 
At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok -
How exactly do you judge what is "treasonous" in journalism?
How do you prove what words constitute criminal behavior?
How do YOU KNOW what articles aid the enemy? Who is the judge?

And to equate a journalist reporting on a very timely issue - detainees - to a citizen who moved to Afghanistan to fight for his religious zealotry is a little extreme, won't you admit? Especially considering the treatment of detainees is one of the biggest stories in America today. By the way, there are men within the Army willing to speak out - do you call them treasonous? "Inside the Wire" by a former Army Seargent - do you consider this man committing treason? because he's telling the truth?

 
At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abu ghraib was an atrocity. especially considering the number of potentially innocent civilians sent there. Treatment of prisoners there and at Guantanomo Bay is what led to greater violence. The press's decision to print it or not print it does not change the fact that it happened. Only after the journalists printed the story were changes implemented.

Journalists are protected in this country. This was a decision made by the Founding Fathers of our great nation. Not some judge or some legislature. Its the primary right the Founding Fathers sought to protect. For you to equate it with treason is absurd.

 
At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Since you call the detainees at Abu Ghraib "potentially innocent civilians", you obviously have no clue to how many were innocent or not."

My information was gained from speaking to my close friends and family members who have served over the past 2 years in Iraq, in the United States Army. Both officers and grunts in the infantry. My entire family is military, my cousins, brothers, aunts and uncles. So while I appreciate you telling me I know nothing. I know plenty - and have had MANY lengthy discussions regarding the realities on the ground in Iraq. I am entitled to a difference of opinion, and i will speak that opinion because I have a right. As do members of the press.

Typical with supporters of this administration and this war - you would rather call me names and attack that take any of my comments seriously.

"Again, who made journalists untouchable?"
James Madison - he drafted the Bill of Rights.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home