Ma Deuce Gunner

Ma Deuce Gunner

PROTECTING FREEDOM.....HALF AN INCH AT A TIME.

Monday, July 04, 2005

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY

Happy Independence Day, All...

Today our nation celebrates it independence from tyranny. We celebrate our freedoms gained and maintained by the blood of men and women who stood to defend their countrymen, their republic, their liberty. We hoist our colors proudly, launch our fireworks powerfully, and sing our anthem vigorously. We remember our Founding Fathers, who risked their lives, families, homes and their entire way of life to create a new nation.

Today I write from the sands of Iraq, in which we now endeavor to secure a new democracy. There have been great steps towards freedom here in Iraq, and many more are needed. We have given these people a great chance at democracy. Let us hope that they will be able to celebrate, in the future, as we do now.

So, enjoy your BBQs, your family picnics, city parades and fireworks shows. Play some John Philip Sousa, for me, will you? And, on this day, feel NO pity for me and my men. We proudly stand to defend the freedoms you celebrate today. Many people ask, "What can I do to support the troops?" Do this: Enjoy your freedoms, abuse them not, and pray for the prosperity of our nation, wisdom for our leaders, and safety for our soldiers. Eat with your families, drink with your friends, play with your kids. That would give all of us who wear a uniform of the Armed Forces of the United States the greatest pleasure today. Enjoy yourselves, that's why we do it.

SCOUTS OUT!!!!

MDG....OUT.

9 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Fourth, Sweetie. I will miss you very much today as we celebrate our freedom. Thank you for your service. I am so proud of you!

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I am well aware of the toil and blood and treasure that it will cost us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet through all the gloom I can see rays of ravishing light and glory. I can see that the end is worth more than all the means."
-- John Adams

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, brother. Happy Independence Day to you, too. :)

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger The Patriot said...

Oh wow that was great. Very inspirational; and now I feel ashamed of past attitudes I've had... no pity here, only thanks... so you stay safe and we will enjoy this freedom.

God bless America!

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, MDG! Wonderful Post! I could use a little John Philips Sousa today myself! Thanks to you & your buds, we'll enjoy the day, keeping you folks in our hearts forever!

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger FbL said...

Brother Gunner,

Be advised, you and your compadres were remembered by my house this weekend.

We kept it quiet, introspective, and remembered not only the fact that you guys weren't home grilling brats and drinking tall, cold frosties, but WHY you weren't home...

Semper Fi, Brother... We'll make up for it when you guys are "boots on the ground" on your home soil...

Stay safe...

 
At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MDG, I thank you for the privilage to be able to chose exactly how I wish to spend my day. I have a Grandson - enlisted 6 yrs in the Army - who just returned from Baghdad on June 20th. His chosen path is to also be a Ranger. Since he has spent over half of his first year of the service in Iraq, and still plans on a career of the Army I applaud him. It is causing white hairs to pop out on my head, but I am happy he found a calling. I was sad that he brought so many demons home with him, and has yet to be able to really connect with his family, but I realize that he has a family with the guys that he served with that may now be stronger than his biological family. I applaud you for your courage and dedication. I hope that your future goals are met. I thank you for stepping up and thereby allowing me to remain living in "the land of the free". Thank you......Gramma Sandi

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Michael said...

The previous comment was deleted by the Administrator, due to it being offensive.

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear MDG: Wonderful comments on 7/4 our Independence Day--thanks to you and all who have gone before you to preserve our nation. I apologize for not writing sooner but I have enjoyed your blogs. You will either be a history professor or a politician! You have many gifts and talents. Keep up the good work. I stood tall and thought of you when singing the National Anthem on Monday.
While enjoying the fireworks I remembered all the "bombs bursting in air that gave proof that our flag was still there". May God bless and protect you. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Aloha, Grandma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home